Summer Adventure was a collaborative effort among Capital Region BOCES and its 24 component school districts to support our youngest learners during the summer of 2020. Recognizing that families may not have access to the typical programs and events that occupy kids’ summers due to New York’s phased reopening, we have launched this website to help fill the gap.
This website offers fun, enriching activities, curated by BOCES and school district educators and staff, designed to engage children in hands-on and online activities.
To help parents find items suitable to their child, each activity will have a recommended age range and will be grouped into one of 10 categories that we hope will appeal to kids with all kinds of interests – without breaking the household budget!
- Arts & Crafts – Let your child’s inner artist explore imaginative ways to bring these creations to life!
- Good Reads – Summer is a great time for reading, and we’ve got lots of stories to read aloud, read along and read alone.
- Kitchen Corner – Find fun and easy recipes that you and your child can enjoy making and eating! Plus, our Kitchen Corner will also highlight the BOCES Farm-to-School Initiative and its statewide partners.
- Mindful Moments – Because it’s just as important for children to enjoy some “downtime.” Explore ways for your child to stretch their bodies and calm their minds.
- Music – Get your young ones singing, dancing and listening with activities that highlight the power of song.
- Practice Learning – These activities are great for parents looking to reinforce math and literacy skills over the summer. But we promise, they’re still fun!
- Rainy Day Fun – When the weather just won’t cooperate, check out these ideas for indoor fun, including interactive games and virtual field trips. And don’t miss the opportunity to take advantage of our Virtual Library of e-books through the BOCES Library Automation Service. Even if your school/district isn’t a member, we are giving free access to our students throughout the summer.
- Science at Home – You don’t need a classroom, a lab or even a backyard to tackle these intriguing science “experiments,” but your child will get to play “scientist” with these simple and fun activities.
- Stay Active – Summer Adventure is all about keeping children’s minds AND bodies active, so try out these games and activities to get your kids moving!
- STEAM – Created by Niskayuna High School students, these video-based challenges encourage exploration of science, technology, engineering, arts and math concepts through creative, hands-on projects geared toward their younger peers. Summer Adventure is honored to be partnering with Niskayuna’s NYSTEAMBus program to bring these activities on board!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.