Mix up a magical creation and use your imagination to describe what you create!
Have you ever wanted to mix up a magic potion? You can, using some simple household ingredients.
What You Need
- Baking soda
- Dish soap
- Food coloring
- Small glass jar
- Spoon (or magic wand!)
- Tray or large dish
What To Do
- Place your jar on a large tray or dish that can catch any overflowing liquids.
- Fill the jar about halfway with vinegar. Stir in a few drops of your chosen color.
- Add a large squeeze of dish soap and a sprinkle of glitter.
- Add a spoonful of baking soda and stir with your spoon (or “wand”). This is the perfect time to cast a spell or make a wish!
- Watch your potion fizz over onto the tray.
What’s the Science?
The magic spell you just cast produced a chemical reaction when the baking soda and the vinegar combined. The chemical reaction produced a gas — carbon dioxide — which fizzed up in great, big bubbles.
You can check out another experiment here that also uses baking soda and vinegar, but the reaction happens a little bit differently.
Share your creations by tagging #CapRegSummer, or email photos or videos to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You must be logged in to post a comment.