In this activity, young scientists will see what happens when three common household ingredients combine.
What You Need
- A clear glass jar (pint size is great)
- A spoon for stirring
- Paper towel or cloth to place under the jar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon liquid dish detergent
- About ¼ cup lemon juice
What To Do
- Place the jar on a surface that you can protect with a paper towel or cloth. This is actually a good outside activity (it can get kinda messy).
- Add the baking soda and dish detergent to the jar. Stir. Leave the spoon right in the jar for now.
- Pour the lemon juice in the jar, give it a quick stir and quickly remove the spoon (this is the messy part we warned you about!)
- What happened? Can you explain the reaction?