Turn your backyard into a launch pad!
No astronaut’s mission is possible without a rocket to blast your ship off into space.
In this video, a member of the NY STEAM Bus at Niskayuna CSD shows us how we can build a rocket in our backyard with items you can find around the house.
What You Need
- 1 plastic bottle
- 4 pencils or pens
- 1 piece card stock or similar heavy paper
- 2 ounces baking soda
- 1 zip-top bag
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cork
What To Do
- Tape all the pencils to the bottle in such a way that the rocket stands up.
- Pour a few ounces of vinegar inside the bottle to act as fuel.
- Place cork inside the top of the bottle.
- Pour a few teaspoons of baking soda inside a zip lock bag.
- Take your rocket and the bag of baking soda to an open space where you can launch the rocket. Make sure to have an adult with you.
- Take the cork off your rocket and cut a whole into the bag with the baking soda so it pours into the top of the bottle.
- Put the cork back on and turn the bottle upside down so it rests on the tips of the pencils.
- Blast off!
How high did your rocket go? Share a picture or video by tagging #CapRegSummer and submit the picture at the NY STEAM Bus Summer Adventure page.