Take a virtual step into the Utica Zoo to meet a snake. Then, grab some colored construction paper make a snake of your very own!
Meet a Snake
In this video, Kathleen from the Utica Zoo introduces Prism, the zoo’s rainbow boa. What’s special about Prism’s scales? Find out here:
Make a Snake
You’ll have so much fun making — and playing with — these colorful paper snakes.
What you need
- Colored Paper
- Crayons, colored markers or pencils
- A ruler
- Glue or a glue stick
- Optional: googly eyes
What to do
- Cut out all your snake shapes. You will need eight strips of paper (four of each color; for example, four strips of purple paper and four strips of orange paper) for the snake’s body, a head and a tongue.
- If you would like a longer snake, cut and glue together more strips.
- Glue the ends of your colored strips together to form an “L” shape.
- Fold the bottom strip over the top one (keeping the “L” shape) and crease the fold.
- Take the bottom strip and fold it over the top one.
- Continue until you run out of strips to fold and add a dash of glue on the last fold. (If you are making a longer snake, add a dab of glue here and there as you go to make it more secure.)
- Add eyes, nostrils and a tongue to the snake’s head. Glue the head to the end of your snake.
You must be logged in to post a comment.